Thursday, March 5, 2020

Purpose of Life

A lot of philosophers before me and almost every human who has wandered this planet with an adult existence has probably wondered what the purpose of life is. I had this epiphany the other day as I was indulged in the doomsday nature of the news: I may not know the higher purpose of life but I can say certainly claim that the higher purpose of life cannot possibly be just to make money and get rich. Think about it.. As Indian kids growing up in a middle class background, our life's purpose instilled from a very young age is to get an education and become rich. I don't have a problem with getting an education part. If what follows education is just an accumulation of wealth, then that seems to come with its own set of problems. In my own experience, I find myself to feel shitty and alone so many times. I have all the money in the world, but yet I crave things that money cannot fill.

Just to iterate, I didn't need an all - encompassing plague like virus to come to this conclusion. I have been at that point for quite some time now. It's one of the main reasons me and my husband have been planning to move back to India towards the end of this year or early next. But at this moment, everything feels like it has come to a standstill. I want to pause and just stay inside the house with my family and ride it out. I am aware that the coronavirus is just a virus and not as deadly as the other ones. I am aware that it affects older people more and for about 80% of the population, the symptoms are not so severe. Yet, when you live in the epicenter of the outbreak in the US, and when you have a mom brain worrying about your toddler son, you can't help but feel like shutting off everything and everyone for the next decade.. if that's what it takes. But who knew hitting pause on life wasn't a cakewalk? So I force myself to take the next actionable step.. Keep that one foot in front of the other and make a footprint.

I am just beginning to appreciate the frailty of life even more. All the success and progress we have taken for granted can come bearing down by a microscopic organism. We didn't need zombies for an apocalypse after all :)

Remember to just do the things that make you happy and love the people that you want to. Truly, nothing else matters!



No comments:

Post a Comment